Sunday, October 10, 2010

Board Game Design Exercise

I have found this weeks board game design exercise to be extremely challenging.

For days I endeavoured to generate a great idea to build a game on, but was eluded. Finally today I thought that perhaps the key to creation was not to wait for a great idea but rather try to improve a good one.

With this in mind I sat down with a pen and paper and awaited inspiration.

Nothing.

I decided to leave the house, and had a nice little idea as I drove around. Excellent, this is something I could work with. Again I hit the couch, once again armed with pen and paper. Ready to polish and develop.

I soon became bogged down in a quagmire of details. There was definitely a good idea in there somewhere, but it so om became clear that it was going to take more than a day to develop.

It has become clear that sitting down with a pen and paper is not a very productive scenario for me. So I decided to try and recreate my earlier success, this time by cooking.

I ended up coming up with somthing simpler, and combining it with a few discarded idaes from earlier in the week, pairing it down again and adding a few more ideas.

In the end I have come up with somthing usable. Its not the amazing idea that I had hoped that I would have, but at least I feel that I am learning more about my own design process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers